By Bill Hornbarger, Chief Investment Officer
Three things to know
- At least four million people across the central U.S. have been subject to rolling power outages to protect the power grid. (Source: Bloomberg)
- Four of the top five commodity gainers in 2021 are from the energy complex, led by gasoline, which is 24.3%. The top gainer this year is tin (+44.4%). (Source: Benjamin F Edwards)
- Since 1950, there have been 62 different 10-year periods (i.e., the 10-years from 1950-59, 1951-60, . . ., 2011-2020). The S&P 500 produced a positive total return in 60 of the 62 decade-long periods. (Source: MFS, BTN Research)
Three things to watch
- A four-day trading week with Monday’s holiday. Economic releases include inflation in the form of PPI (Wednesday) and import prices (Thursday), housing starts for January (Thursday), and retail sales on Wednesday.
- Oil prices – They hit a post-pandemic high as freezing weather across much of the United States pushed up demand and shut refineries, resulting in power outages and rising gas and oil prices. A prolonged spike in energy prices could take a toll on economic activity.
- On Thursday, the CEOs of Robinhood, Reddit, Melvin Capital, and Citadel, as well as streamer Roaring Kitty, will testify at a House hearing on GameStop.
The above information reflects the current opinion of the author. It is based upon sources and data believed to be accurate and reliable. Opinions and forward looking statements expressed are subject to change without notice. This information does not constitute a solicitation or an offer to buy or sell any security mentioned.